NEW BLOG SITE!!! :)

HEY ALL - I WILL NO LONGER BE UPDATING THIS WEBSITE AS JEREMY AND I HAVE CREATED A NEW ONE TOGETHER - PLEASE CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT OUR NEW BLOG!!

10 September 2012

Overwhelmed


I think that the word *Overwhelmed* is an accurate description of life here right now. 

The city of Niamey has been overwhelmed by water. Many SIM families and ministries have had to find new housing as their homes/buildings were overwhelmed by the floods. 


 The doorway remains on this house where the water literally 
melted the mud bricks away. 
Over 4000 families have found themselves homeless - just in the part of town where I am staying.  Their homes were not just overwhelmed by water, but destroyed by it as well. Can we even fully comprehend what that means? I look at the fire that took place in Colorado Springs this past July, and remember the emotions and incredible devastation that is still there. Similar in many ways to what happened here, unexpected loss, having to find a new place to live (both temporarily and permanently). But to lose everything, to have no form of insurance or real way of starting over, many lost their fields and thus their income.

 How do you recover? How do you survive? 




Here is a man named J. who is staring at the place where his home used to stand... and my heart breaks. 


I don't know how to even think about this type of loss and devastation in a place where there is nothing.  Where do you begin to help? How do you help? Who do you help? And how can I really show the love of Christ... when I don't even know what to say? I am overwhelmed by the need. 





As I pray and spend time in His Word, I am also overwhelmed by His love. May it overflow from the lives of each believer here as we strive and struggle to do what we can. I pray that God will be glorified in the little bit we can do to help the people here. There is such great a need and no way to meet it, but I am reminded that the spiritual need is even greater and Christ can fully and completely meet every single one of them exactly where they are! That is my encouragement - that is my hope. Not in what we can and cannot do - but in the character of Christ. 

My prayer is that each day as I spend time with HIm, He will fill me up with renewed strength, joy, and compassion. That everything I do, that everything I say would be an extension of Christ's love. I know that I am not perfect, nor will I be on this earth, but I do know that by His strength my life can bring glory to His Name! 

No comments: